[Edu-sig] Announcement: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist -- Interactive Edition

Kirby Urner kurner at oreillyschool.com
Sun Aug 28 07:23:30 CEST 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Sarina Canelake <sarina at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi Carl,
>
> I am a master's student, and for my project I am building an interactive
> Python tutor system, hopefully with 150-250 problems, as well as embedded
> video. Some of my inspirations have been the Khan Academy and codingbat.

Heads up re talk at OSCON this year by Scott Gray (full disclosure:  I work
for the guy) ranting against several categories of interactive courseware,
but namely "watch a video then play the match game with canned quiz show
type questions".  There's no "making with tools", no "apprenticeship".
Anyway, just saying there's a spectrum.

This isn't about passing judgment on any particular system, either.  Our
Python Track has lots of "no brainer" quiz questions for student
reinforcement.  It's not like this doesn't feel like a school (though more
asynchronous and with less emphasis on externally imposed deadlines). The
projects tend to be Python modules, or pairs, with one unit testing the
other.  Teachers provide feedback.

Any time you see complete automation on the back end, I say you have a
competitive edge if you add a human touch.  Our testing instruments are all
hand graded, and projects come with real advisers, albeit not in real time
(it's an asynchronous UI).