[Edu-sig] Happy New Year 2011!!!

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 05:01:01 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM, A. Jorge Garcia <calcpage at aol.com> wrote:

<< snip >>

> You say VPython works well with IDLE?  I was hoping to add VPython, GASP or
> turtle graphics to my scripts.

Yes, the VPython team built their curriculum around IDLE.  Part of what Arthur
used to gripe about is how a Visual install might change your IDLE settings
to boot into a script (programming window) instead of into the
interactive shell.

Anyway, when you launch a VPython script, perhaps by hitting F5 in the
program window, it brings up an independent window or even goes into
full screen mode based on user parameters.  Full screen 3D with commands
as simple as >>> ball = sphere(origin, radius=0.5, color = colors.red)...
really fantastic.

Here's a Youtube of what I've done with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp_ZycVtOKM
(me babbling insanely about polyhedrons while filming Vpython script output)

Given the CPU power required by real time computer graphics, I'd think
you'd wanna enslave all those PCs if they're at all capable and not bring
your server to its knees trying to be all things to all users.  I suppose it's
not either/or, i.e. using workstations individually doesn't mean they
can't ssh their homework to shared depositories.

Kirby