[Edu-sig] py tutorials with some educational interaction

Jurgis Pralgauskis jurgis.pralgauskis at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 19:15:35 CET 2011

Hello,

during the hollydays I put up some nice system
to quite straitforward build tutorials...

the tutorial is written in kind of markdown (this could be changed easily)
http://ftp.akl.lt/users/jurgis/python/knygute/_sources/intro.1.txt

and then it is converted to rst/sphinx like
http://ftp.akl.lt/users/jurgis/python/knygute/intro.1.html

Features:
 * automatically computes outputs/results of examples (I havent' found
such feature otherwise)
 * adds interactions (via sphinx template js injections)
   at the bottom of each code block there are 3 buttons appearing on hover

    - 1st I'd call  "syntax trainer by repeating" (for beginners it
should be very good)
    - 2nd -- toggle off/on prompts and output -- for copying example to editor
      which I didn't found around sphinx (3 lines of jquery actually)
    - 3rd -- integration with http://people.csail.mit.edu/pgbovine/python/

    - I also used turtle graphics to introduce function -- and I like this idea
      http://ftp.akl.lt/users/jurgis/python/knygute/intro.3.functions.html#funkcijos

any comments?

Tutorial is in Lithuanian, but you can understand most by examples...
I was writing it with absolute beginners in mind --
somehow I didn't find  easy enough english tutorials.
thinkscipy is a bit steep in my opinion...
maybe you could indicate some, or maybe I'ts worth translating mine
into english?

Best regards
--
Jurgis Pralgauskis
Don't worry, be happy and make things better ;)