[Edu-sig] Inexpensive robot teaching platforms

Blake Elias blakeelias at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 18:09:15 CEST 2011

Right now we're leaning towards the Adventure Bot:

http://custobots.com/products/adventure-bot-rs005

It's quite a bit cheaper at $80.  Though it doesn't have nearly as
many sensors, they'll still be able to do some cool things.  And we
can afford more of them so the kids can work in smaller groups.  With
the small amount of time we have to teach, I'm not sure we'd even get
a chance to use the Scribbler's additional capabilities like camera
processing.

Once they see the basics on the small robot, they'll be able to play a
little bit with the larger ones we build for the competition, which
weigh 120 lbs and have more functions.  Those just aren't great
teaching tools in the beginning because they take up more space and we
don't have enough of them for kids to work in groups of 1-3.

Blake Elias