[Edu-sig] Too simple (was Re: Interesting "gotcha")

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:03:42 CEST 2011

I've always been a fan of Sesame Street, some of the earliest
episodes of which you can't buy as a minor they tell me,
because they show kids doing too dangerous things (like
making friends with strangers and running through a junk
yard, hopping on bed springs or something).  TV-14?

On that show, very disparate artists get a crack at sharing
about the Letter A or the Number 6.  Claymation.  Puppets.
Computer graphics.  Psychedelic.  Even demented.

If it's a style you don't like, not to worry, as clips are short.

You get to sample.

That's how I like a lot of math topics to get served, so
"customers" find a diet they not only can stomach, but
relish and wish to have more of (like "mindless consumer
but not mindless" is the marketing slogan).

I'm like the math teacher who changes the text book
every week, and then goes over the same topics, saying
"now lets see how *these* authors handle this subject
matter".  Or:  "lets watch another Youtube about
cosine, this one starring Britney Spears, formerly
of the Micky Mouse club"  (kids:  yaaaay).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQtyJZhV2lQ
(another logician featured)

I'm really into polyhedrons and if none of the clips have
them, within a radius of 30 minutes either direction on
the recording, then I'm likely to think only idiots would
watch this and tune out.  But that's just me.  I'll find my
niche, my like minded, and bliss out, twirling that
volume 5 rhombic triacontahedron long into the night,
marveling at all those beautiful ratios (proportions).

So my Python not surprisingly tilted towards VPython
in much of my writings and slideshows (from visual import *).
You'll see other themes as well.  Basically it's all Geometry
or Geography for me (like on mathfuture), keeps it neat and
easy, Occam my barber too.

Kirby Urner
4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html