[Edu-sig] some useful memes anyone might use when teaching / learning Python

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 22:37:00 CET 2011

> More memes welcome.  Imagining a culturally savvy adult audience that
> knows about Monty Python is a helpful practice, if aiming for
> Python.tv
>

> Kirby

4.  Theater metaphors re agency

One of my recent comments on a student quiz re "what is a namespace?"

"names refer to objects in memory.  Objects are the actors or agents
who do the work of a script.  The script controls their performance."

We make waaaay to little of the fact that "program" and "programme"
come from the same roots in theater, as does "script".

If we weren't so brain damaged, in the sense of divorced from the
humanities, computer science could be something much more wonderful.

Perhaps maths will be where the healing takes place.  Or it will vary
by school, most likely.  STEM / STEAM has a long way to do.

Not nearly diverse enough, when it comes to andragogical techniques.

Fortunately, we have the Internet now so it's much easier to both
experiment and to poll viewers / audiences regarding what's working or
not working (what's effective).