[Edu-sig] CS + theater

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 19:16:25 CEST 2012

As I was telling my younger daughter during the ride to school today
(she's a senior in high school, though already 20% professor and 22%
your boss), a huge missed opportunity (so far) is the hybrid of
theater and computer science.

My older step daughter majored - minored in something like that, but
the college wasn't really doing the work to marry the two, she was.

Like with television, the computer comes with a "back stage" where we
craft a user experience (e.g. web site) -- like museum exhibit design
(interactive), like department store design (people behind counters,
customer service, help desk).**

The code is about animating agents and actors (how the systems people
talk).  In popular culture, this way of thinking was vastly aided and
abetted by 'The Matrix', wherein the idea was we live inside a
computer program built for us by computer viruses of extraterrestrial
origin.

Anyway, I think as the media continue to cross-fertilize, we'll be
getting back to theater more and more, as a core institution in both
east and west, and as a logical partner for the CS department /
compartment / pod.

Kirby

** museum exhibit design:  http://samgreen.to/blog/