[Edu-sig] PyCon Education Summit Update

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Thu Aug 30 12:53:29 CEST 2012

Hi,

This sounds exactly like what we're doing at PyconUK
(http://pyconuk.org) in a few weeks time: we have an "education" track
full of talks, tutorials, discussion and even an "educational
resources sprint" taking place on the Sunday.

Our aim is simple: we expect interesting things to happen when we
bring teachers and developers together in an event that is open to all.

We're having a Google hangout next Tuesday evening (UK time) at which
we'll be discussing / planning what's going to happen. My co-organiser
Alan 'teknoteacher' O'Donohoe gives details here:

http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/pyconuk-whats-in-it-for-me/

- From my point of view it is vital that we *don't* work in isolation
and that good education-related stuff happening at the various Pycons
around the world is shared far and wide.

We, as a Python community, are an international bunch and I don't see
why sharing educational resources and experience shouldn't be an
international effort either (speaking from experience as a teacher in
the UK, too often matters educational are only placed in a local
[national] context - an attitude that needs challenging IMHO).

As always, comments, suggestions and critique most welcome.

Nicholas.