[Edu-sig] docs.tutorial function example - too complicated

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 00:22:38 CET 2012

The official docs for Python are not really designed for people new to
programming but for people who have already experienced programming and now
want to add Python as an additional language.  The tutorial does not take
the time to slow down and start from the beginning.

John Zelle's book (and many others) are closer to what you would want to
teach people who are new to programming.  'Mathematics for the Digital Age
and Programming in Python' is another good example.

Today's average / standard mathematics courses are not all that good at
prepping students for computer programming.  They don't feature many of the
concepts we would like.  This has led to much discussion, on many lists,
about with a 21st century curriculum might look like.  We've had a lot of
these discussions on edu-sig over the years.

I've done some pioneering of alternative "futuristic" math / STEM curricula
over the years such as this one:

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/numerarcy0.html

Here's an old outline that shows more what a digital / computational math
might look like (one of any number possible):

http://4dsolutions.net/ocn/mainoutline.html

I have had many opportunities to put my ideas into practice, including with
teenagers.  Many of them realize that what they're getting from me is of
far far higher quality than anything they're getting currently in their
high schools.  I'm the best high school level math teacher in Portland bar
none, I might claim and defend.  But I don't waste my time on such claims.
What matters more is they realize it's an uphill battle to keep themselves
from being dumbed down by their 1900s style math courses.

Kirby