[Edu-sig] guide to learning decorators

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 06:39:34 CEST 2012

Re:  http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Learning-Python-Decorators-ebook/dp/B006ZHJSIM

I got the Kindle book on Python decorators.

Quite inexpensive.

I didn't give it my highest rating though, for two reasons:

(a)  there's some representing that an exhaustive treatment of the
function arguments and parameters topic, but the use of * (asterisk)
on its own, to section off keyword-only parameters, is not mentioned

and

(b)  the authors hint at the many useful and wonderful things decorators
might do, but are somewhat shy on examples.  One would think just
a few more pages of clever examples would round out the treatment.

Other than those two omissions, I thought it was pretty strong.  The main
goal was to get to where your decorator function might itself take arguments,
what that means.

There are no examples of using a class as a decorator that I recall, nor
of decorating a class.  I should double check that.