[Edu-sig] Next Steps in Python, for teachers

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Sat May 19 20:03:58 CEST 2012

Nice blog post, but I was hoping to learn how these teachers use Python in their classes.  Is programming a separate class, or is it used as a tool in regular math and science classes?  What resources are needed (computer terminals, etc., and how are they funded)?  How many days out of a typical semester are devoted to programming, and does this activity displace something else in the regular classes?  Is there evidence to support my assumption that use of programming accelerates the learning of math or science, such that there is no loss of learning regular subject matter?

I ask these questions because I expect to have to answer them when I propose introducing Python in high schools in my community.

* David MacQuigg, PhD    email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu   *  *
* Research Associate                phone: USA 520-721-4583   *  *  *
* ECE Department, University of Arizona                       *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* http://purl.net/macquigg        Tucson, Arizona 85710          *