[Edu-sig] Teaching python at a Computer Clubhouse

Carl Cerecke carl at free.org.nz
Mon May 21 22:54:47 CEST 2012

I'm thinking of becoming a mentor at a local Computer Clubhouse
http://www.computerclubhouse.org/. In particular, there are some kids there
who are quite keen to learn to make their own games, but none of the
current mentors know any programming (one said that he had done some
"programming" in HTML).
I would be grateful for any recommendations for material to help me and the
kids. I have plenty of programming experience and some teaching experience
(at the university level, though). I've written some text-only turn-based
games in python before (about the level of connect-4), but nothing with
graphics. The idea is supposed to be that this is driven by the interests
of the children, but I need to balance that with the requirement for a bit
of a programming foundation as well if they're going to be successful in
writing the sort of games they're interested in. I also think I need to
make sure their expectations are realistic...
So, any advice/recommendations?

Cheers,
Carl.