[Edu-sig] Teaching python at a Computer Clubhouse

Luis Miguel Morillas morillas at gmail.com
Tue May 22 00:33:25 CEST 2012

2012/5/21 kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Carl Cerecke <carl at free.org.nz> wrote:
>> I'm thinking of becoming a mentor at a local Computer
>> Clubhouse http://www.computerclubhouse.org/. In particular, there are some
>> kids there who are quite keen to learn to make their own games, but none of
>> the current mentors know any programming (one said that he had done some
>> "programming" in HTML).
>
> Hi Carl --
>
> A lot of kids say "games" because that's what's in their vocabulary
> and it most closely approximates the idea of a bright buzzing world
> with fun interactivity.
>
> I would recommend immediately coming back with "simulations" and
> identifying Sims as one of those, "not just a game".
>
> Then point out how all the Sims and their houses and furniture (and
> cities) are Objects and Objects have Attributes and Behavior.
>
> With all that as background, I find many kids will then amuse
> themselves with core Python, imagining the "game" in their heads, but
> in reality just doing primitive classes and functions.
>
> They pass the CS-1 level pretty quickly, if the latter is imagined as
> purely procedural only (not many of those left I hope).
>
> In other words, I hope you succeed in giving them excuses to learn
> core Python and get some clear concepts, as that will help when you
> introduce PyGame in the next meeting.

My experience is different. We introduce programming with Scratch [1]
and then we create videogames. I like pilas-engine very much, but it's
not yet translated into english (it's written in spanish). Writing
games with pilas is very funny and easy. After that students can learn
core python themselves with very little help ;-)

I like the ideas of this project [4]. Its a Microsoft Project that
teaches programming (C#) with XNA (writing games for XBox and Windows
Phone) I prefer Python, but this project has good ideas introducing
programming with videogames.

Tell us how your local Computer Clubhouse is going :) Success!

[1] http://scratch.mit.edu
[2] http://www.pilas-engine.com.ar/
[3] http://www.pilas-engine.com.ar/blog
[4] http://www.facultyresourcecenter.com/curriculum/pfv.aspx?Id=8856&c1=en-us&c2=0