[Edu-sig] PyCon Education Summit Update

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Wed Sep 5 17:52:29 CEST 2012

Hi Folks,

If you're interested, there's a video of yesterday evening's Google
"hangout" meeting where I get to talk to a bunch of teachers (and even
a couple of students) about what we're up to at this year's PyconUK in
a few week's time. Many thanks to Alan 'teknoteacher' O'Donohoe for
organising and hosting it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAqQklpZXGc

I've been thinking about the international collaboration question and
want to share some of these ideas if only to have them shot down
and/or acted upon / developed:

* I hope to organise a "show and tell" session at the end of the
education sprint on Sunday 30th September at approximately midday UK
time (see http://pyconuk.net/Schedule/). Assuming the time-zone
dissonance isn't a problem, you would all be welcome to join us and
take part in the discussions via a Google hangout or Skype (assuming
conference wifi hasn't melted by then). If you're interested drop me a
line. ;-)

* Just naming an intention and pointing to it is often enough. There's
a lot of interest from enthusiastic "can do" teachers and developers
here in the UK and I guess the same is the case in the US and
elsewhere. Publicly saying that we intend to co-operate and will do so
via such-and-such mechanisms (e.g. wiki, IRC chan, Google group,
hangouts, PyEdu conference etc... TBD) is an important first step that
such colleagues can contribute to.

* An audit of Pythonic educational efforts is crucial. Just getting
people in touch with others doing similar things is an important
service. By asking who is doing what and seeing what emerges is
another relatively simple step we can all make. A case in point,
yesterday evening on the Google hangout I first met Adam, a teacher
who helps to organise a "Python Summer School" for teachers in the UK
that I had *no idea existed*!

* Assuming we try any of the above (and more) I think we should
approach the PSF for support (grants and perhaps even hosting on the
python.org "official" domain).

Of course, part of the point of this email is an exercise in
information gathering on my part in the hope that people come out of
the woodwork and say, "we already do that... take a look at x, y and
z" ;-)

As always, comments, suggestions and critique are most welcome!

Best wishes,

Nicholas.