[Edu-sig] python vs processing for introducing programming?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:48:09 CEST 2012

> I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with experience in teaching
> Processing to this age group, and anyone with any thoughts on the topic.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy Judkis
> Academy of Allied Health and Science
> Neptune, NJ

I probably shouldn't be answering this as I don't have the Processing
experience, though would gladly attend a work shop at one of those
"cultural literacy for STEM teachers" events in the planning.

I've always advocating a mix of languages and it sounds like you get that
with Scratch, its own language.  I usually think of JavaScript as the other
language, in conjunction with learning about the DOM.  But then I also
think of J from jsoftware.com, in part because it's so exotic and different
from Python, the one I teach the most.

I wouldn't see replacing Python at this point.  The fact that it's so used
in everyday science and industry makes it more than ready for prime time,
both as a gateway (door opening) language and as an end in itself.

My colleagues and I believe in more fusion among the STEM tracks and topics
to where the lines between "mathematics" and "computer science" and
"engineering" and "chemistry" and "physics" have all been blurred.  One
brings all one's knowledge to bear when solving problems.  Individuals may
specialize in their skills and haunt some workshops more than others, but
the curriculum itself is more meandering.  Students are encouraged to
wander (the liberal arts ideal).

What used to be called "vocational education" (where you use equipment,
tools) has not disappeared.  3D printers are just starting to revamp that
area.  CAD is a bridge, and for that you need geometry / trig.  GIS / GPS
is likewise a core area where Python gets used (thinking of Esri products
in particular).

Against this backdrop, I'm sure Processing has a brilliant role to play,
along with other classics.