[Edu-sig] import turtle ERROR

Karine Laidley K.Laidley at amsacs.org
Thu Apr 11 21:16:43 CEST 2013

Hi python experts,

I am teaching python turtle graphics now and in class, most students have been successful using it. However, several students today got the same error message complaining about "module does not exist". If they run the same code in the shell (I am using version 3.3), it works just fine. But the second they copy the code into the code editor window (file), it fails with that error. Then I thought maybe it is because the file is saved on the school network under the student's "My Documents" set up on the server side.

So I copied the file to the desktop and test it from there but that failed too. I eventually copied the file to the python directory (c:\python33) and that worked.

So I guess the location of the file decided to act out just for those few students... Other students using the same computers were fine.  Is there a way to make this work CONSISTENTLY for all users from their own "My Documents" on the server? I would hate to make them all save on the C drive, for backup issues and security issues (they can see other people's files there)...

I hope this is a simple fix!! Please let me know...

Thank you,

Karine Laidley

Computer Science Teacher (6th and 7th grade)
AMSA Charter School
Marlborough, MA
(508)597-2400
k.laidley at amsacs.org