[Edu-sig] mathics - free alternative to Mathematica built on Python and SymPy

michel paul pythonic.math at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 16:26:27 CET 2013

A student sent me this.:  http://www.mathics.org/

It's Mathematica lite, for free. Though built with Python, Sage, and SymPy,
it accepts Mathematica syntax and provides much of its basic functionality.

In an age where anyone can do genuinely high quality math in their browser
for free, that's what we should be showing the kids. I think things are
going to be heading more in that direction, not less.

-- Michel

"What I cannot create, I do not understand."

- Richard Feynman
"Computer science is the new mathematics."

- Dr. Christos Papadimitriou