[Edu-sig] mathics - free alternative to Mathematica built on Python and SymPy

michel paul pythonic.math at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 22:04:49 CET 2013

Yeah, Sage is wonderful. The only problems I've experienced with it:

   - you can't rely on the public servers as frequently they will go down,
   and
   - having a bunch of students use them in a lab can create a bottleneck
   where everything is being seen as one IP. To use Sage effectively with a
   group you need to create your own Sage server.

I don't see Mathics replacing Sage, but it's fun seeing it come into play.
Students who might want to become familiar with Mathematica but don't have
access to it now have a great resource.

- Michel