[Edu-sig] PyGeo

Kevin ipythonstudent at eml.cc
Sat Jan 26 02:54:01 CET 2013

Hi folks,

I'm new to python and super-excited about using it for all sorts of
reasons including education (especially math education). I've been
reading a great deal on the subject, and I discovered some of Kirby's
resources at http://4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html which have been very
helpful. I was especially intrigued by the very simple Euclid's
algorithm that he showed in the python for math teachers videos at
http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/series?name=JkD78HdCD

I'm also very interested in VPython and PyGeo. I read a fair amount of
background on PyGeo including the sad news of Arthur's passing in 2007.
And I've searched the web for news on the current status of PyGeo since
Arthur passed, and have found very little
<http://osdir.com/ml/python.visualpython.user/2007-02/msg00013.html>.

Can anyone give me any better insights on the state of the PyGeo code
base? From http://pygeo.sourceforge.net/ it looks like the last revision
to the PyGeo code base was 7 years ago, but perhaps someone here knows
of more recent developments with PyGeo?

With all the changes that have taken place since 2007, does anyone know
if I should expect that PyGeo will still work ok with Python 2.7 or
Python 3.2?

Also, has anyone shown any interest in continuing to develop PyGeo?
Although I'm very new and still have a lot to learn, Arthur sounds like
he was a man after my own heart, and I suspect that I would enjoy trying
to pick up his PyGeo work where he left off if nobody else has done so.
I probably will not be able (skill-wise) to improve upon his work in the
next year or so, but I can't help thinking it might be feasible for me
after that.

I'd welcome reading any thoughts on these or related issues via private
email or public list follow-up.

Thanks everyone.

-Kevin