[Edu-sig] PyconUK education track

Kirby Urner kurner at oreillyschool.com
Thu Oct 3 18:14:57 CEST 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Nicholas H.Tollervey <ntoll at ntoll.org>wrote:

> > Were the Bank of America people "STEM ambassadors" or would that be
> > more like a parent who wanted to volunteer, and had some
> > background in technology?
> >

> There are thousands of STEM ambassadors in the UK. Basically, to work
> with kids you need be CRB checked (criminal record bureau) to ensure
> you're not some nefarious person on the look-out to do damage. STEM
> make the various bureaucratic bumps in the road easy to navigate and
> you become part of a well oiled machine that allows technology
> professionals to support teachers in the UK education system. It's
> basically a formal volunteering service.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't realize it was that far along in
the UK.  Here in Portland, the STEM community provides an
auxiliary Academy called Saturday Academy (the very name
suggests "extracurricular") where technology professionals
interface with kids.  Those actually in the classroom or leading
outdoor activities need the CRB check, which includes finger-
printing.  I am one such certified individual.

This solution creates a bridge between say Intel Corporation
and high school teens, but does very little to bridge to the
full time teachers in the state education system.  So the UK
solution sounds more complete.

> > Is the role catching on in UK parlance?
> >

> Very much so. Teachers know what "STEM ambassador" means and there are
> various ways for UK education to plug in and extract expertise from
> the STEMmers.

Again, sounds more advanced.  Our teachers have no idea where
to turn when it comes to interfacing with the private sector (random
web sites maybe).

Portland is analogous to an oil state in Arabia that has to import 81%
of its technology professionals because the schools teach to the
wrong tests.  Saturday Academy (a nonprofit) has been one of our
initiatives to compensate.

> > Looks like an engaging event.  I hope I get there some year.
> >

> Yes, please... everyone come to PyconUK... :-) Seriously, we'd love to
> welcome as many teachers, devs and so on interested in education to
> next year's conference.
>
> N.

I'd want my company to send me and my boss has persuaded
me we're poor, not like that Monopoly guy with the monocle,
more like some tramp in rags or wearing a barrel.  But things
move quickly in the business world.  They're already sending
me to one Pycon a year, so why not two?  We have "professional
development" as a budget line.