[Edu-sig] graphical calculator

Christian Mascher christian.mascher at gmx.de
Tue Apr 15 11:45:57 CEST 2014

Hi,

>> Unfortunately, I'd love to do the same in AP Calculus but Graphing
>> Calculators are required on that AP exam. The students need to use the
>> Graphing Calculator all year to be proficient enough by May.

in my state of Germany the graphical calculator ist just being adopted
as mandatory in high-school math (last three years).

As much as I like Python, I understand the administration's point that
PCs/tablets are not an option, because they can't be used in exams (too
much risk of cheating with WIFI, other installed programs ...).

Schools can choose to use a CAS, but then they get entirely different
graduation exam questions. Even then, it is most likely they have to use
CAS-calculators (quite expensive but bought by the students) because
otherwise the schools would have to keep a whole set of tablets ready
for the exams and guarantee that only the CAS-program can be used during
the tests.

My experience with Python certainly helped me to get my head round the
way _simple_ graphical calculators work with lists quickly. OTOH the
average math classes here have just 135 min a week and must cover
calculus, vectors, matrices (to a certain degree) and statistics. Not
much time to use different tools. Perhaps even not enough time to learn
to use the more complicated calculators proficiently along the way. So I
always look for tools which are as simple to use as Python. That might
rather be the more simpler graphical calculator (versus the high-end
type which can do so much more but requires months of tool-training).

Just my 2c

Christian
  So, adding
> SAGE/python to the mix there would not be helpful. If only the
> CollegeBoard would allow PC/Tablet based calculators/programming
> languages/CASs, I'd be all over it!

In fact, I just started a