[Edu-sig] easygui_qt

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:41:46 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

If you use Python 3 and PyQt in a teaching environment (e.g. the Anaconda
distribution), you might be interested in a new project I have started.

====  The original inspiration: http://easygui.sourceforge.net/ ====
About EasyGUI
EasyGUI is a module for very simple, very easy GUI programming in the
Python programming language.

Experienced Pythonistas need to be able to make simple GUI interfaces
quickly and easily. New Python programmers, students, and sysadmins need
GUI capabilities that don't require knowledge of Tkinter, frames, widgets,
callbacks or lambda. This is what EasyGUI provides. Using EasyGUI, all GUI
interactions are invoked by simple function calls.

EasyGUI is different from other GUIs in that EasyGUI is NOT event-driven.
It allows you to program in a traditional linear fashion, and to put up
dialogs for simple input and output when you need to. If you have not yet
learned the event-driven paradigm for GUI programming, EasyGUI will allow
you to be productive with very basic tasks immediately.
=========

My new project is easygui_qt (https://github.com/aroberge/easygui_qt).  If
you go to the github repository, you will see an impressive looking
package.  Do not be fooled: most of this has been generated automatically
by "cookiecutter" - I wanted to learn to use it to create packages that
could be easily updated to https://pypi.python.org/pypi and cookiecutter
generates all the required boilerplate code (including additional files for
automated testing, etc.), most of which I do not use (yet).

Right now, there are only two files of potential interest:

https://github.com/aroberge/easygui_qt/blob/master/easygui_qt/easygui_qt.py

which contains the widgets; and

https://github.com/aroberge/easygui_qt/blob/master/demos/guessing_game.py

which shows how to use the existing widgets in a simple program.

There are still quite a few widgets that I need/want to implement and am
always open for feedback and suggestions.

André