[Edu-sig] Need resource for beginners

Jurgis Pralgauskis jurgis.pralgauskis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 14:45:13 CET 2014

I'd also propose Scratch first -- you'd save quite some time, when
beginners make syntax and naming errors - with Scratch you can concentrate
on logic instead on these errors.

For girls Python I think https://groklearning.com/hoc-2014/ would be ok
(found on http://code.org/learn) -- has step-by-step explanations

For easier coding (not Python, but has similarities)
http://www.playcodemonkey.com/ (also found on code.org/learn)

And If you'd like Scratch type small intro tasks -- very good start for any
intro programming course -- http://studio.code.org/hoc/1

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 5:26 AM, Tamim Shahriar <tamim.shahriar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It will help me to design the
> outline and content I shall let you know how it goes.
>

> Regards,
> Tamim.
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 1:36 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tamim --
>>
>> Speaking teacher-to-teacher, I think in terms of an XY graph with X-axis
>> the techie nuts and bolts and Y-axis the lore / history / storytelling.
>>
>> Then I draw a curve representing any given students "bandwidth horizon"
>> and suggest varying the angle along the curve i.e. keep changing the mix of
>> lore and tech.
>>
>> Too many teachers neglect lore I think:  where did Python come from, who
>> is Guido, what is open source, how many languages are there, what are they
>> used for?
>>
>> Yes, we can go overboard and have only "fluff" but it's wrong to think of
>> lore as "fluff" when in a good / healthy trail mix with techie (e.g. the
>> syntax itself, magic methods...).
>>
>> What I find is a real time saver and helpful is to *not* start with a
>> blank canvas i.e. an empty screen and say "now code something".  Rather,
>> start in the middle with something fairly complex yet understandable
>> (conceptually) and invite them to make changes (plus they get to keep the
>> code).
>>
>> I took this approach with middle-to-high schoolers (teenagers) with
>> limited experience at a summer school.
>>
>> http://www.4dsolutions.net/satacad/martianmath/toc.html
>>
>> Each student had a high end Mac.  I had Visual Python installed with my
>> stickworks.py and other goodies (all free and out there) so they had
>> something visually interesting, a live animation, right from square one.
>>
>> But then they could change some things.  I call this "providing
>> scaffolding".
>>
>> It's not like you're saying this is a shortcut to learning the language
>> and people who slog along are wasting their time.  It's not that.  We're
>> just front loading with concepts and human interest material and recruiting
>> a few into diving in more seriously as a result of having so much fun.
>> We're not hiding the fact that it'll take a lot longer to get good at
>> Python.
>>
>> Additional resources:
>> http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html
>>
>> Kirby
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Tamim Shahriar <tamim.shahriar at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> I am going to conduct a workshop next month. I shall use Python in the
>>> day-long workshop. The workshop will be for girls only (grade 9-10) who
>>> know how to use computers but not familiar with programming.
>>>
>>> If anyone has experience conducting similar workshop and has resource,
>>> please share.
>>>
>>> Also, what do you think I should show them in the workshop? Every girl
>>> will have access to a computer during workshop? Should I go with solving
> [...]

Jurgis Pralgauskis
tel: 8-616 77613;
Don't worry, be happy and make things better ;)
http://galvosukykla.lt