[Edu-sig] snap shot of a geometers doodle-pad, in Python (no pictures, but links to some)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun May 4 02:11:06 CEST 2014

I should also post what the output is, so scanners / readers might avoid
the tedium of running it just to find out:

/usr/local/bin/python3.4m /Users/pbarton/Documents/modvolumes.py
Amod volume = : 0.04166666666666668
Bmod volume = : 0.041666666666666595
Emod volume = : 0.04173131692777366
Ran 4 tests in 0.000s
Tmod volume = : 0.04166666666666668

Smod volume = : 0.045084971874737034
OK
================
VE:          20 19.99999999999996
Icosa:       18.512295868219198 18.512295868219162
BizzaroTet:  17.135254915624284 17.13525491562418
Small Guy:   15.860645438769707 15.86064543876961

Process finished with exit code 0

The whole business somewhat falls under the heading of "testing" i.e.
various mathematical truisms are being verified with floating point number
machinations.  No proofs, more empirical and based on ongoing
investigations.

Yes it's somewhat sloppy / messy to have unittests trying to insert their
output while there's also a lot of printing going on up top.  My apologies,
a work in progress.  Ideally unittests go in a separate file as my Python2
students will appreciate.  We start out with tests in the same file, per
the Holden curriculum but gradually learn to split testing code from
production code.  TDD is harped on a lot, as part of Agile (talking about
the O'Reilly track I mentor, Steve Holden the curriculum author, me,
Patrick, Ben and Lorri the track's crew, with various levels of engagement
and responsiblity).