[Edu-sig] Getting more involved with education and the PSF...

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu May 22 14:01:55 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Jeff Elkner <jeff at elkner.net> wrote:

> What would be the next step?  I think you are right, Naomi, that what
> I'm talking about is an EDU effort, whereas I imagine "Education and
> Outreach" is more about reaching out to the Business and IT
> communities to tell them about Python.  Should we adding a Python in
> Education committee?
>
> One of the candidates for the PSF board (I didn't write down her name
> and I can't seem to find the bios on the wiki after voting) listed
> creating space on the website for teachers as one of her goals.  That
> would be awesome. With the Open Educational Resource movement (OER)
> growing steadily, we really should have some place on our website
> where Python EDU resources could be stored.
>
> I'm not sure where to begin, but perhaps the website is as good a
> place as any.  Who is maintaining this page:
> https://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/edu-sig ?

As far as I know, no one is maintaining it since I stopped doing so.  I
asked for volunteers to take over, which resulted in quite a few people
offering to do so, put them in contact with people in charge of the
website, saw a few emails back and forth ... and that's as far as it got.

Perhaps the whole thing got lost in the site redesign, and now people in
charge of the Python website would be more receptive to a volunteer
stepping up ...

André