[Edu-sig] Reeborg update

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 20:05:00 CET 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

> In a message of Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:48:45 -0400, Andre Roberge writes:
> >On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Christian Mascher <
> >christian.mascher at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >>  Hi,
> >>
> >>  I went there in a recent chrome on a laptop with a fairly small screen
> and
> unusable.
> >>>

> >> I noticed the same with Nexus 7 (android) and firefox. On the desktop
> Ctrl
> >> + - usually makes things smaller and thus fit onto the screen (esp.
> editor
> >> right next to the world, so the controls below the world are visible),
> but
> >> on the android tablet that didn't help.
> >>
> >> These tablets are just to small for all the information and even firefox
> >> is different compared to its desktop version.
> >

> >>From the beginning, my thinking was that anyone interested in doing some
> >programming was going to use either a deskop or laptop with proper
> >keyboard, etc., and thus a reasonably sized screen.
> >
> >Should I review this basic hypothesis?  If so, does anyone have an idea as
> >to what minimum screen size I should be aiming to support?  I'm not ever
> >planning to target tiny screens for smartphones and the like ... but if
> >only relatively small adjustements are needed to support "typical"
> tablets,
> >I could look into it.
> >
> >André
>
> Children all over Sweden are getting ipads, ruggardized from the school
> districts.  They are 240 x 170 mm, and apple has done a very good job of
> convincing education officials that this is where the 'computer literacy'
> money should be spent.  Some schools are bucking the trend and using
> Android
> tablets instead.  They are typically '10 inch' screen but some '7 inch
> screens' as well are being used.  The android market is fragmented, so what
> a 10-inch screen really is, width and height-wise varies, as long as 10
> inches
> is on the diagonal, that is what they will call it.
>
> And the current trend in cellphones is to grow them like crazy, so the
> flagship models of a great many popular brands now support 6.5 inch
> screens.
> (Indeed, it is a bit of a chore to find a very fast phone with a smaller
> screen.  Since I already own a 7-inch android tablet, I would like things
> much better if my phone could just stay a phone, and go back to the battery
> length times we had before we had smartphones ....)  But I disgress.
>
> At any rate, for use around here ipad support would be required, and if you
> got things to work with a 7-inch screen a whole lot of other people would
> be happy.
>
> But that's just here ...
>
> Laura

Thanks for the feedback Laura.

I guess I should have been a bit more explicit: what matters really is the
screen resolution in order to determine how much space I have ...  but,
unless there is an explicit request, I probably will not tinker (much) with
the design.  (I just removed a bit of extra vertical space but more could
be done - except that, with different browsers rendering css differently,
it's a bit pointless for me to try to squeeze things more tightly together
on the hope that it would work for some target device which I can't test.)

André