[Edu-sig] CodeCombat online coding learning platform for Python and more languages (opensource)

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 15:13:16 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Jurgis Pralgauskis <
jurgis.pralgauskis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried it via my students (found on http://code.org/learn)
> http://codecombat.com/?hour_of_code=true .

It looks really nice.  After having a quick look, I am fairly impressed. My
criticisms below are essentially nitpicking....

> Neat pedagogical approach:
>
>    - attractive graphics (for boys esp.) ,
>
> Yes

>    -
>    - default coding language "python" :)
>
> but uses camelCases instead of following the normal Python convention.

>    -
>    - slow learning curve,
>
> True ... but it starts with methods as opposed with functions, with no
explanation as to why "self." is needed .

>    -
>    - line highlighting,
>    - some "simplified" syntax for python loops (instead of "while True",
>    just write "loop")
>
> I have not reached that point (and likely won't) but this is something
that  really annoys me when claiming to teach Python.

>    - didn't notice conditional statments so far

What about defining new methods/classes ?

André