[Edu-sig] question about how many special names built in to the language

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 21:50:40 CEST 2014

Does anyone off hand know precisely how many "special names" aka "magic
methods" aka "__ribs__" (my quirky name for 'em) in Python 3.4?

We don't make these up, and there's a finite number.  I could look it up of
course but let me poll Python teachers and ask how many actually say how
many in an introductory class?

Seems about 50 right?  Some still get added with new versions.

The number of keywords is 33 and that's easy to get.  Is there a list of
special names all canned in some module?  I should know that.

Kirby

Python Teacher by day, and sometimes by night

PS:  I realize I could put this on StackOverFlow instead but I find that
service somewhat over-frenetic at times and would rather chat on edu-sig.

PPS:  anyone using Python to talk to Neo4j?  That's high on my list but I'm
looking for just a simple low-level DB API, not anything big like a "web
framework".