[Edu-sig] Post Mortem (Bridges submission)

Kirby Urner kurner at oreillyschool.com
Fri Apr 10 06:35:21 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:53 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 9:43 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> My 3-page paper concluding with the graphic rendered by this source code:
>>
>> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2015-March/011203.html
>> (Python + POV-Ray)
>>
>> was roundly rejected by the Bridges reviewers.
>> http://bridgesmathart.org/
>>

> They rejected my friend David's paper too.  We were hoping to present back
> to back.  I set up the volume units, David phi-scales them.
>
> David:  "I stand by describing the volume of an icosahedron in E modules
> 420E + 100e3 = 18.512995"

Just to give the flavor of David's paper, a bit arcane but accessible to
high schoolers:

"""

PHI SCALING

By scaling the edges of the E module larger or smaller by increments of phi
we increase/decrease the volume by phi to the third power.  The notation
used describes the various sizes of the E module as they are scaled by
phi^1 and their volumes are greatened or lessened by phi^3.  Note the lower
case e is used for the phi^-3 increments and E = e, but e alone is not
utilized.

E module denotations

e6 = ((sqrt 2)/8)phi^-9 or .002325
e3 = ((sqrt 2)/8)phi^-6 or .009851
E = ((sqrt 2)/8)phi^-3 or .041731
E3 = ((sqrt 2)/8)phi^0 or .176766
E6 = ((sqrt 2)/8)phi^3 or .748838

The T module = 1/24 or .041666

The E module can be made of lesser scaled modules with the general
volumetric relationship:

E3 = 4E + 1e3 = 17e3 + 4e6 and so on.

Likewise the volume of which has been dubbed the Super RT or a rhombic
triacontahedron with a radius of phi^1 and the long diagonal of the rhombic
face = 2, which is RBFullers edge for the tetrahedron, octahedron and the
VE or cuboctahdron and the resultant icosahedron from the Jitterbug
transformation process.  The volume of the Super RT is 15√2 or 21.213203.
120E3 = 480E + 120e3

VOLUMES OF FIVE-FOLD POLYHEDRA

The icosahedron with an edge of 2, inscribe within the Super RT, it has a
volume of 18.52295 or 5(sqrt 2)phi^2.  It has an exact E module volume of
100E + 20e3 or 420e3 + 100e6.

The pentagonal dodecahedron, which inscribes in the Super RT with edges =
2(phi^-1) has a volume of 15.350018 = 84E + 12e3 = 348e3 + 84e6

"""

You get the gist yes?   He's measuring volumes in terms of a sliver, a
tetrahedron, in various scales (shape constant).

I've done a lot of Python code around these modules, the E, T, A and B,
sometimes using Cyrillic to show off Unicode:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2014-May/011026.html

Here's a picture of the E module:

http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s09/figs/f86411b.html

(120 of these guys assemble into a rhombic triacontahedron).

> Bridges:  ""Outside some tedious but not very deep mathematics there is no
> artistic or other cultural component that one expects to see in a formal
> Bridges paper.”

Another reason they rejected David's paper is his choice of symbols for Phi
was what the reader used for Null, as in Null Set.

Wrong Unicode glyph!

David is a union pipe fitter, a blue collar guy.  He does his best to
conform to academic rules but sometimes he makes mistakes.

Kirby
OST