[Edu-sig] Fwd: Python in Education published by O'Reilly

Phillip Kent phillip.kent at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 12:14:51 CEST 2015

Hi Nicholas.

Great writing. Well done.

I'd like to add one idea: disruptive potential.

For me, one of the strengths of Python is that the features you
describe combine together to give it a high disruptive potential, in
the sense which I wrote about here..

http://www.phillipkent.net/blog/maximising-disruptive-potential-programming

"....The most valuable consequences of programming are those which
disrupt conventional relationships of people with knowledge and ideas,
and (therefore) to disrupt the conventional relationships between
people and other people. Therefore the best programming language to
select is the one that will maximise the disruption to established
practices...."

As a teacher, you well understand how educational systems are weakened
by intellectual divisions and tribalism. That's why we need disruptive
potential for educational computing.

- Phillip