[Edu-sig] Thanks Jessica and Chalmers for a wonderful EDU Summit!

Jeff Elkner jeff at elkner.net
Sun Apr 12 13:05:28 CEST 2015

Shout out to Jessica and Chalmers for all the hard work they put in
organizing the EDU Summit at Pycon 2015 in Montreal!  All of the
presentations where both simulating and inspiring, and the combination
of topics was very well orchestrated.

Now let's see if we can get something to happen within our community
between now and the next EDU Summit.

I'm most interested in two specific things:

1. Improvements to IDLE to make it a more effective beginners learning
tool.  Al Sweigart presented a very well thought out plan for this in
his talk.  To his list I would only add being able to save graphics
artifacts generated by the turtle module as svg files.

2. Improving out presence on the python.org website.  Both Dr. Chuck
and Van Lindberg had great suggestions for improving our web presence.
I think what is lacking now is a plan to find and allocate the
resources it would require to make things happen.

Thanks again, Jessica and Chalmers!

Jeff