[Edu-sig] teaching computer science: what language?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:05:40 CEST 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Charles Cossé <ccosse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I think that the Python language has always prided itself on the fact that
> it reads like clear English.  Perhaps could even say that "good Python"
> corresponds somewhat to "good English".  Just my .02 ...
> -Charles

I think you're right.  Python does read like clear English.

But if all your class, function and object names are in
Portuguese, then Python reads like a clear hybrid, of
English and Portuguese.

I favor keeping Standard Library in English but for
author names, as Guido does.  Beyond that, I favor
Indonesians writing their Python scripts in Indonesian
if they want to, and want no "talking down" from
fluent high horse English speakers who think
"open source" means they have an entitlement to
understand it in the English language.  If someone
does a translation maybe.   In general I don't think
English merits special privileges.

Like isn't a lot of the best CUDA stuff in Russian these
days?

http://habrahabr.ru/post/48798/

I've been using Cyrillic in my Python, in part because
the mathematics I use is interesting to Russians, more
so every day.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2014-May/011026.html

Kirby