[Edu-sig] teaching computer science: what language?

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Tue May 12 05:14:52 CEST 2015

I like the principle that computer languages should be as free as possible
from the ambiguities and confusions in a human language.  I remember seeing
an article in Datamation, in the late 70's I think it was, mocking the
unfriendliness of Unix with a cover story showing birds, monkeys, and other
creatures saying words like "awk", "grep", and "cat", instead of "search"
and "print".  It struck me that the author had completely missed the point
of picking non-English keywords.  Had the developers of Unix chosen more
common English words, there would now be dozens of variations on all the
basic functions, all with slightly different meanings, just like real
English.

I like Python, not because it is styled like my native language English,
but because it is simple.