[Edu-sig] Using Grammar with OO

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu May 14 19:12:10 CEST 2015

As long time readers here may recall, I'm a fan
of the J language, a derivative / spin-off of APL
by Iverson, and indeed the late Iverson, son Eric
and Roger Hui, developed a cool ASCII-friendly
version of what APL was working to be.

In the help documentation, the grammatical
concepts of noun, verb, adverb and more, get used
to introduce the grammar of J.  That seems effective
and I've been using something like this with OO
(not Python-specific):

noun.adjective = value
noun.verb( )

That may already appear in some textbooks as
it's pretty intuitive.

If you know Python, and if you're learning English
as a second language, say, this helps with the
meanings of even the English variety of these
things e.g. what does "verb" mean, if I'm new
to English grammar?

Adjectives are like properties (attributes) with
methods (verbs) the behaviors.

And yes, adjectives are also like nouns in being
objects in their own right (everything is a thing in
Python) -- but we're off to a good start at least.

Kirby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Hui
http://www.jsoftware.com/help/dictionary/dict2.htm