[Edu-sig] mixed messages about math...

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Fri Aug 5 22:59:47 EDT 2016

I pretty much disagree with your conclusion about "what is said. .. CS is
not Math" and all the conclusions and predictions.

Math classes and math teachers are not going to be replaced by anything.

In HS my CS teacher was a trained musician.  He did fine teaching Basic,
but had no idea how to teach or program Pascal to the 5 or so of us in the
advanced class.  I suspect a few years later he figured it out, and can now
teach it just fine.

There is the problem of hours in a day, and hours you can keep a person in
class.  those are fixed, so if you want to add a minute teaching CS you do
need to decide what you will take a minute away from.  Language? PE,
lunch...   I'm glad this is not my problem.