[Edu-sig] a Raspbian recipe for geometry teachers

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 13:26:47 EDT 2016

You might wonder what this has to do with Python, see notes at the end for
a pure Python code stash.

We also tend to think of the Raspberry Pi as a "Python computer" so
anything Raspbian is of potential interest.  Antiprism will convert OFF
(geometry) files to POV (ray tracing) files.

The Python + POV-ray synergy is still viable, though I've not attempted
that.  Looks like my next project, following the recipe here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=100529

In the meantime, lets do a workout using basic development tools:

Unzip Adrian's tar.gz file from antiprism.com or clone his Github
repository, and then install a GLUT clone if you don't already have one
(the configure step will say it can't build antiview if you don't).

sudo apt-get install freeglut3-dev g++

Then configure / compile / install:

CPPFLAGS="-fsigned-char" ./configure
make
sudo make install-strip
sudo ldconfig

Read the docs and look at the many screen shots on his website for what
you'll be able to do after that.

In my case the Pi may simply generate OFF files, transform them into POV
files, then offload to another machine for actual rendering.

Screen shots:

https://flic.kr/p/Ln3zeL

https://flic.kr/p/Lom9uH

Notes:

I started with a plain vanilla Jessie distro of Raspbian.

The steps above, including the need to maybe run ldconfig are spelled out
in Adrian's README, which I suggest you go to first thing, if undertaking
this cooking exercise.

For math teachers new to "gnu math":  some of the steps in the above recipe
take quite awhile, starting with that very first process:  getting a free
OpenGL implementation.

I went out and did yard and gardening work during the make step. Partake of
some school-approved beverage and kick back.

During ./configure, the script may appear to hang at some point at:

fi

(the end of a bash script if block i.e. if .... fi marks a block) and
you'll maybe wonder if it's up to you to perform an intervention. Have
faith, the script will say done when it's finished.

The CPPFLAGS="-fsigned-char" relates to this issue:

   http://blog.cdleary.com/2012/11/arm-chars-are-unsigned-by-default/

Adrian diagnosed the issue only hours ago.  Without that switch, it'll
compile, and all the --help switches will work, but the many programs will
report a command line error and not actually do the work.

Adrian was able to grok the problem even without owning a Pi.  He used this
emulator instead:

 https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi/qemu-user-static

Many thanks to Adrian Rossiter for this brilliant and well-maintained
spatial geometry library.

He also has a large stash of free Python programs that cover some of this
same territory:

https://github.com/antiprism/antiprism_python/blob/master/README.md

Kirby Urner
@4DsolutionsPDX

Portland Knowledge Lab VLM (a type of PWS) in Portland, Oregon