[Edu-sig] snap shot from a random Python course (in vitro)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 15:12:03 EST 2016

I sorta flubbed showing 'em how functions preserve state between calls in
their default parameter values.  Tried to do it on the fly.  But it all
worked out, a "teach me" moment (a student helped in the chat window).

I talk about this in my lead-up to generators / coroutines (I cover send)
in that we usually think of functions folding their tents and forgetting
all state between calls, forgetting about this corner case, which I covered
for the Hubble folks at STSCI (thanks again for the opportunity).

Otherwise a smooth class.

I have this "grand unification" segment in Session 07 where they know
decorators, and then they know context managers (__enter__, __exit__), then
generators as a kind of iterator (__iter__, __next__).

Then right away, while the iron is still hot, we use a decorator to turn a
generator into a context manager!

I have this castle_game.py and castle_game2.py that do the same "can you
guess the keyword?" game, the second version employing the decorated
generator version of the quiz.

Could be the epiphany of a pythonic lifetime (about 10 minutes? -- much
shorter than a dog year).

Thanks for covering all that in your Advanced Python (OST -- course
material still on-line [1]).  There's more stuff in contextlib I want to
study before tomorrow night.

I like smoothing the edges of new concepts with more context from Standard
Library.

For example after generators, we tour in itertools, scrolling through the
docs, getting the flavor of what's there, me the babbling tour guide...

See you in 2017.

Kirby

Cc: edu-sig Archive

[1]