[Edu-sig] learning python the "best" way... (end of year overview)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 14:24:04 EST 2016

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 6:04 PM, memilanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I finally took a look at the on-line version
> > yesterday and notice he's very adamant about
> > learning 2.7, not 3.x.  Disappointing.  Maybe
> > he's working on the 3.x version.
> >

> Ah... you seem to have missed the entertainment on Reddit and HN back in
> November ;)

Yeah I missed that entirely, so much else going
on in November. ;-D

I've been doing a lot more study of the JavaScript culture
and the changes there are much bigger.

Instead of from __future__ import and backporting, they use
transpilers to write in ES6 but compile to ES5 -- not news to
many here.  That just goes with the job.

The eagerness for more Pythonic syntax [1] seems great.
The stress levels are high.

There's much to like about Zed's approach, and nothing
stopping it from being used with Py3.  At O'Reilly School, now
closed, we advocated an approach similar to Zed's but used
3.x -- I only wish we updated our version more frequently.[2]

It'll take some time for 2.x developers to realize their in the
same pickle as the rest of us:  technology continues to evolve,
if not in their shop, then in the shop down the street.

Python is a moving target.  If one has a comfortable job using 2.x,
I understand a "why rock the boat" attitude.  A lot of the new
people flooding in don't have the same attitude though. An
ancient pattern.  History repeats (but never exactly).

Kirby

[1]  https://goo.gl/trT840
# ye old Github Jupyter NB on nbview comparing Python with ES6

[2]
http://archive.oreilly.com/oreillyschool/courses/courses.html#course_id_158