[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 156, Issue 7

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 20:22:37 EDT 2016

I've you mean what's posted here, I'm not reading much into it.

The Microbit hardware is not accessible in the US right now so I'm staying
out of it.

Anyway my own forte isn't low-level hardware "make the lights blink" coding
in the first place, beyond some dinking around in assembler.

You have different experience no doubt.

Python is what we used to call a VHLL (very high level language) and using
it to talk to devices seemed crazy at first.

But when it comes to building tiny bytecode scripts that run on a chip,
there's no reason a VHLL can't play.

It just needn't expect to run on the target.

That being said, my friend Patrick has an entire image analysis program on
a Pi in a bazooka-shaped snake trap that recognizes pythons.

His target application is the Florida Everglades into which pet owners
released no-longer-wanted pythons.

The ecosystem was unprepared and is now seriously out of whack.

It's a judgment call whether humans should insert themselves, but then this
was their doing in the first place.

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2016/02/python-versus-python.html

Patrick and I are both python owners and were both Python teachers for
O'Reilly.

It's not that we don't respect wildlife.  Just making traps does not imply
an overall policy of "genocide" or anything like that.

Anyway, interesting project.  The Pi is too power-hungry even in sleep mode
to listen for a snake, so an Arduino gets that job.