[Edu-sig] Curriculum Outline (was: no subject)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:55:25 EDT 2016

Sorry about the missing subject line.  Also I forgot try / except -- this
outline was incomplete:

For semantics I go:
> * basic primitives, including datatypes, dir() help() type()
> * functions along with ** and *

* control structures (for/else, while/else, if/elif/else,
try/except/finally/else)

> * collections.namedtuple --> explicit class-based version
> * classes, inheritance
> * instance, class, static methods (sans decorator)
> * generators, decorators, context managers, descriptors

* some other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting :-D

Here's my class outline for Session 06 to give a better idea of the pacing
(we meet twice a week, small class size).   We didn't get to Lab 3 which is
why 07 started with it.  Usually I have three 20 minute labs and up to
three 5 minute breaks per 4 hour session.

We have live scrolling chat window.  I generally keep cameras off except
the one on me, so they have a small postage stamp talking head and then the
coding surface as center stage.  I can highlight and circle with graphics
widgets but mostly just use the mouse to make chunks or lines turn color.

See also:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2016-July/011503.html

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
"""
Created on Thur Jul 21, 2016

Course: PYT-PR (Saisoft.net)
Session 06

Instructor:
Kirby Urner
kirby.urner at gmail.com
@thekirbster

Audio Check (6:15 PM PDT)

Introduction:
    API:  control surface, interface
    Web API:  web services (REST vs SOAP)
    Python types:  API may use special names __ribs__

__ribs__:  __getitem__, __init__, __repr__, __call__, __dict__

Side-by-side:  namedtuple versus class (same API)

A menu-driven application (Periodic Table):
    modules importing modules
    input validation techniques

LAB 1: user selects which column to order by when printing
(Requires a submenu of column choices)

classes (same as types):
   inheritance
   instance methods versus class methods versus static methods

LAB 2: keep track of heros and monsters using class-level dict

Example API:  datetime.timedelta
Example API:  File Type Objects (returned by open())

Types:  filetype, enumerate, sys
sys.argv

Writing a command line utility
LAB 3:  print any Python .py (source code) file with line numbers

Summary of Session 06
"""