[Edu-sig] Interactive Coding Web Pages?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:17:47 EDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:10 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anybody done this? Is there a template available for doing this, or is
>> it a custom job?
>>

> At O'Reilly our approach was to spin up a workstation in the could,

... in the cloud, not the could (duh). :-D

Our servers were in Illinois near Champaign-Urbana though I believe we were
in the process of moving them (as a mentor, my insight into the details of
the IT side were rather limited).

One of our core issues, as you might imagine with a cloud-based solution,
was lag-time.

A bum router somewhere can slow things down almost regardless of geographic
distance, and many a student complained of sluggish behavior.

They might need a refund within the trial period, or if truly dedicated
despite lags, we could bypass the GUI to some extent, with an ssh backdoor,
and that could be just the ticket.

Just in traveling, I'd experience huge differences in performance, as I was
using the same servers as the students were.  This place I stayed in
Philadelphia had agonizingly slow Internet, so I'd go somewhere else and
get my work done.

So you're lucky if you don't have to fight "the weather" (bandwidth
issues), though I'm sure there are other trade-offs.  My challenge was to
make sure they didn't go away blaming Eclipse (the IDE) for there
frustrations.  It wasn't the IDE that was bogging down, but the whole
Remote Desktop Connection (RDC).