[Edu-sig] K–12 Computer Science Framework -- k12cs.org

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:24:09 EDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Here's my main question:  will already on-the-job math
>> teachers get it together to offer these "specialized courses"
>> that include significant amounts of programming?
>>

> What incentives are there (beyond the obvious utility of CS skills in most
> career fields)?

Yeah, good question, what would incentivize a high school
math teacher to want a new credential, if that's even what
we're talking about.  Why venture off the beaten path when
our current curriculum seems so well-established and nailed
down?

The most obvious answer is job retention i.e. if students
are free to vote with their feet and gravitate to those for-math-
credit classes where coding features, those not prepared to
including coding could lose traction?

Won't Jack and/or Jill choose "computer math" once offered?
That's an empirical question for which relevant #bigdata sets
might be sought.  Let the polling begin. Help students at least
consider the possibilities.

What I hear a lot is "if math teachers learn to program
they'll re-enter the job market to grab a job with higher pay."
That may be something of a myth though.  Of course
that happens, but many find teaching rewarding enough
as a career, especially if it features professional development.
In any case, the plan to attract computer science teachers
in greater numbers would face exactly the same issue.

What I expect will happen in Oregon is this new elite breed
of computer math teachers will develop an esprit de corps
that includes blessing its veterans wishing to turn five years
of teaching and developing skills on the job, into some other
careers, just as people in other careers might want to give
teaching a try after acquiring experience in industry.  I have
no problem with such a revolving door in principle, also a
feature in higher ed.