[Edu-sig] Helping with Python education

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 18:49:33 EDT 2017

Hi Santiago --

I'm not aware of any centralized "to do" list.

We live in a quickly changing world so I'm doubtful anyone has enough
overview to source one.

Andrew Harrington's suggestion, to add to the growing library of
interactive resources, seems excellent.

I'm working with a teaching company, Coding with Kids, based in Redmond, WA
(home of Microsoft) that integrates Python into its teaching.

The tools we use currently goes something like: code.org -> MIT Scratch ->
Codesters.org -> Cloud9 (c9.io) and Codepen.io.

By the time we get towards the end, we're also learning Javascript (JS).

The latest JS is a lot like Python in many dimensions (but different, so
contrasts also useful).

My own focus, through Oregon Curriculum Network (which I sponsor) is better
integration of learning to code with learning mathematics more generally.
[1]

There's also a lot of emphasis on coding hardware devices and Python has
had a role in that world, with the BBC Micro:bit especially. [2]

In my part of the world, a lot of that portion of the curriculum is focused
on Arduino, programmed in a Processing-derived language that maps to C.

I expect you're already familiar with most if not all of these tools.

Kirby

[1]  http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html

[2]  https://www.microbit.co.uk/python-guide