[Edu-sig] Localized keywords library for learning Python

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Thu Aug 17 12:57:27 EDT 2017

On 17/08/17 11:36, Andre Roberge wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Sebastian Silva
> <sebastian at fuentelibre.org <mailto:sebastian at fuentelibre.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi!
>
>     I enjoy teaching Python to kids and have just been reading André
>     Robergé's wonderful Reeborg tool and documentation and have
>     appreciated
>     two details on his approach to Python:
>
>     The introduction of "repeat :" keyword:
>
>         http://reeborg.ca/docs/en/basics/repeat.html
>     <http://reeborg.ca/docs/en/basics/repeat.html>
>
>     And the availability of statements in french:
>

>     http://reeborg.ca/docs/en/basics/library.html#reeborg-can-understand-french
>     <http://reeborg.ca/docs/en/basics/library.html#reeborg-can-understand-french>
>

> Thank you for your kind words.
>

>     This reminded me of a library that was shared I think on this
>     list, for
>     translating the basic Python keywords to a foreign language? Could
>     somebody please share this link again? I'm failing to find it.
>

> I'm not aware of anyone else posting on this site ... perhaps you were
> referring
> to https://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2017-April/011662.html

This is _exactly_ what I was looking for and not finding! THANK YOU

Turns out the library by the same author that inspired the question in
the first place ;-)

I appreciate reeborg and currently wasn't considering using it because I
was looking for a production-capable coding experience, but your post
about reeborg certainly has inspired a lot of thought in me about how to
simplify the earliest experiences.

Recently this research opened my mind about leapfrogging English as a
barrier to entry for computational thinking altogether:
https://mako.cc/copyrighteous/scratch-localization-and-learning

I'm working with children with almost zero exposure to English and since
we are already using transpilers... I think it could help.
`repeat` - I think this is great, to be able to teach loops before
teaching variables... :-) There should be a PEP about it.

> P.S. I'm in the middle of writing a "Teacher's guide" to Reeborg's
> world which will possibly give other examples of useful strategies
> tools, in addition to using repeat.
> If you wish to contribute a version of the robot instructions into
> your own language (Spanish?) for Reeborg's World, I would gladly add
> it! ;-)

I'll be looking forward to contribute and cross-pollinate with my own
libre entry into the edu-ide field, Jappy:
https://github.com/somosazucar/Jappy

Regards,
Sebastian