[Edu-sig] Mathematically Backward States

michel paul pythonic.math at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 01:28:41 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Peter Farrell <funcalculus at gmail.com>

> ​... ​
> anything that's not on the SATs is seen as suspect.

​Yep. That's the whole problem. ​

One of my fondest memories from teaching was when a student's eyes got
really wide when I showed her how the parts of a list comprehension matched
the structure of sigma notation. She got very excited and exclaimed, "This
makes total sense! I never understood sigma before!"

Living in Silicon Valley I thought we'd have a more progressive math
> curriculum

​I would have thought so as well, but the education industry is clearly
monolithic.​

At the time the backwardness I found in the LA area surprised and
frustrated me, but if it still exists even in SV, then it makes my
experience more understandable.

--
​ Michel

​

"What I cannot create, I do not understand."

- Richard Feynman
"Computer science is the new mathematics."

- Dr. Christos Papadimitriou