[Edu-sig] My 11 year old

Steve Eilertsen steve.eilertsen at gmail.com
Tue May 30 05:45:03 EDT 2017

Thought I would share this story. I have been teaching my son to edit
existing Python programs (rather than starting from scratch). He bought a
"Farm Expert 2017" - a complex 'FarmVille" type program. He discovered to
his delight that it was written in Python and was able to edit the amount
of money in his "account" to serval trillion dollars - now his farm looks
like the Dallas Ranch of the 1980's.

Silly things like this can motivate a boy far more than any other more
logical argument as to why coding is a beneficial skill to develop. So this
weekend it was learning to soldier as he now has all sorts of ideas to
automate his room using his Rpi which he got for his birthday last week.

--
Regards

Steve Eilertsen