[Edu-sig] REQ: HOWTO mailing lists resources

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:44:12 EDT 2018

I wanted to followup on this thread as since Aug 30 I've linked to it from
several places.

I've long had a habit of taking advantage what a publicly archived listserv
permits:  http linking from elsewhere.
There's a link to a Python repo in the end notes.

Otherwise I'm mostly just fleshing out a use case vis-a-vis mailman,
confirming insights by Wes.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 3:16 PM Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> TBH, securing and upgrading mailing lists is beyond the competencies of
> most volunteer-run organizations;
> which is one reason that I'd recommend Google Groups or similar for most
> organisations.

Indeed, my experiences matches.

The science fiction fantasy I was pursuing at the time, in my role, was
that my religious sect in particular (for which I was wearing an IT hat)
would eventually embrace IT expertise as one of its trademarks, a kind of
branding maneuver.  So sects are known for their chocolates and cheese.
We'd stand out for our IT expertise.

I was challenging my peers to "geek out" as we say.  Some rose to the
occasion.  I wasn't the only IT type on the listserv (one of Google's).

BTW I haven't given up on any of that investment in a higher tech look and
feel, even though my personal tour of duty in that specific role ended
quite a long time ago.  That gig, as a Clerk of IT for my region, was a
growth experience.

I also continue fantasize about future meeting facilities in a high rise
(as in "skyscraper"), for example some 47th floor facility in Singapore
would be no contradiction in terms, not a culture clash.  I picture a
serene scene, perhaps with LCDs in the social area, sometimes cycling
through pictures of those more iconic meetinghouses of the hallmark sort,
many of them wood-heated and by this time fairly dilapidated.[1]

> In my experience, ISPs offer GUI installers for various app on shared
> hosting platforms, but upgrades aren't managed in the same GUI; which
> requires a volunteer to keep the apps upgraded with at least security
> updates.

Exactly right.

I'm on Godaddy myself and find Wordpress nags me and upgrades in place
through its own GUI, but that's the exception, and is ironically the most
infested with stuff.

I had to SSH in and manually vim stuff out and vacuum tons of garbage
directories -- I've not been a great janitor over the years (this was
grunch.net). The website had essays and links I'd never put there, mostly
tucked away unobtrusively so as not to attract my attention.

Other upgrades, outside of Wordpress would require that I SSH in.  At NPYM,
we had no shell access that I recall, but my memory dims.

To this day we make intensive use of Drupal -- but the security patch
process was hardly intuitive (I wasn't handling it myself).

Our PHP was falling behind, version-wise.

In other words, we already had an inhouse-written and maintained PHP +
MySQL database.  Geeks R Us.

I was able to test run SQL from a command line, thanks to help from Marty,
and was suggesting we migrate these skills through the Secretary's office.
Those proposals remain on file.  I wrote a new prototype of our database in
Python.[2]

Kirby
[1]  https://youtu.be/PhsvqbCIaAs  (opening 5 seconds show iconic
meetinghouse, the rest being a music video recording of religious doctrines)

[2]  https://github.com/4dsolutions/NPYM