[Email-SIG] koi8 and base64

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Apr 22 14:40:46 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 14:35, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> Just because many MTAs understand 8-bit data does not mean you can
> violate RFC 2822.  There are still a lot of legacy email gateways out
> there that will choke on 8-bit email.  I've personally run into
> several, even recently.

In principle, I agree.  The email package strives to be compliant with
RFC 2822, the MIME RFCs and all other relevant *non-transport* email
related RFCs.

Perhaps email 3.0 can provide better or different ways of overriding the
default transformations, for situations where you know what you're doing
and want less magic behind the scenes.  This would be useful for people
who want to disable line wrapping and other things.  I'm not sure how to
spell that though.

-Barry