[Email-SIG] Reconstituting stored messages and quoted printable encoding

Stuart Bishop stuart at stuartbishop.net
Thu Jan 20 03:53:35 CET 2005

Hi.

I'm currently looking into persistent email storage for some internal
applications.

One of our requirements is that we need to be able to produce on demand
a byte-by-byte identical copy of the original message (we expect GPG
signed messages to be quite common). My understanding of this means that
to do this we would either need to store the original message, or split
it up into chunks but store these chunks in their encoded form. This is
because quoted printable encoding  does not necessarily round trip:

 >>> '=66=6f=6f'.decode('quopri').encode('quopri')
'foo'

Anyone know if this assumption is correct for email messages? I suspect
I'm going to have to double our storage requirements and store a copy of
the original message as well as decoded text for indexing and decoded
attachments for easy retrieval. Or just decide to break GPG signed
messages for the pathalogical cases.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/