[Email-SIG] Dropping bytes "support" in json

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 10 21:34:41 CEST 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Shouldn't this thread move lock stock and .signature to email-sig?

I'm doing my part :)

>"Idempotency"?  I'm not sure what that means in the context of the
>email package ... multiplication by zero?<wink>  Do you mean that
>.parse().to_wire() should be idempotent?  Yes, I think that's a good
>idea, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement by (optionally?)
>caching the whole original message or individual components (headers
>with all whitespace including folding cached verbatim, etc).  I think
>caching has to be done, since stuff like "did the original fold with a
>leading tab or a leading space, and at what column" and so on seems
>kind of pointless to encode as attributes on Header objects.

My response here is probably OT, but RFC 822 is the only RFC that talks
about folding by *inserting* whitespace. both RFC 2822 and RFC 5322
say folding is done by inserting <CRLF> ahead of *existing* whitespace
and unfolding is done by removing the <CRLF> (only). Thus, the
question of whether folding was with <tab> or <space> should not arise.

Of course, in terms of trying to reconstruct the original on_the_wire
message exactly, the question of where the folding occurred is still
relevant. but if we're doing the right thing, the question of what
character should follow the <CRLF> is not.